Quick & Easy Actionable Steps For Brian Deans "We Analyzed 1 Million Google Search Results. Here’s What We Learned About SEO" Analysis
This Info Is Based Up Brian's “Here’s What We Learned About SEO” Summary Points On His Case Study Which Can Be Found Here http://backlinko.com/search-engine-ranking who created the analysis along with Erik Van Buskirk founder of the excellent clickstream.cc site. They have also provided a PDF with a breakdown of their methods used to analyze these 1 million search results, you can find their PDF for this here.
Please read Brian's post as it is far more in depth than the summary points below, and then you can use my actionable quick tips to get ideas on each point. This is designed to send you on the right track and is in no way an exhaustive list of things to do, i'm sure if you are experienced in SEO, you will have a few additional ideas of your own but this hopefully will get your own ideas flowing.
I will keep this post deliberately short and to the point, with an infographic and a chrome app to come (already ordered:) that you can keep handy to use whenever you are creating and promoting a new blog post, In the meantime here is a google doc that you can save to your google drive and edit for yourself. Brian's summary points are in Bold, with my own Quick tips in Bullet Points underneath each summary point. This is all White Hat SEO tips for the actionable steps.
Getting links from a diverse group of domains is extremely important for SEO.
- High Quality Press Release Distribution Is A Great Way To Do This Quickly.
Our data also shows that a site’s overall link authority (as measured by Ahrefs Domain Rating) strongly correlates with higher rankings.
- This Is Where Blog Promotion Via Outreach Is Crucial. But There Are Some Quick Wins By Getting Wikipedia Links added by a Wikipedia editor:), Being Included In Relevant Blog Directories Like Alltop. Using Sites Like Inbound.org, Just Retweet & Viral Content Buzz To Get Your Content In Front Of A Larger Audience.
Content rated as “topically relevant”, significantly outperformed content that didn’t cover a topic in-depth. Therefore, publishing focused content that covers a single topic may help with rankings...
- nTopic is topic focused tool that also has a WordPress plugin. It costs just $10 for 100 Credits and i an affordable way to check your content i on topic.
Long-form content ranks higher in Google’s search results than short-form content. The average word count of a Google first page result is 1,890 words.
- Plan Your Content With Sub Headlines Then Bullet Points For Each To Start Writing Your Content Around Including An Actionable Step For Each Sub Headline. I Find This The Easiest Way To Start & Complete Lengthy Articles That Are In Depth
HTTPS had a reasonably strong correlation with first page Google rankings. This wasn’t surprising as Google has confirmed HTTPS as a ranking signal.
- When creating a new site, you want to have HTTPS in place on day one. It’s do-able with existing sites but you may want to outsource that to have time and frustration if you are not sure how to do it.
Despite the buzz around Schema, our data shows that use of Schema markup doesn’t correlate with higher rankings.
- This One Was a Surprise To Me As There Is A Lot Of Hype About Schema. We Have Seen Cases Where It Has Helped Local Rankings. There Are Plugins Like "Project Supremacy" That Will Make Adding Schema Much Simpler To Do.
Content with at least one image significantly outperformed content without any images. However, we didn’t find that adding additional images influenced rankings.
- Quick Tip
Sign Up With DollarPhotoClub.com For Just $10 A Month For Access To High Quality Images. I Use This To Get Images For Blog Posts A Well As YouTube Thumbnails. I Also Suggest Filling Out Jpeg Properties (Right Click Image & Go To Details) And Add Your Keyword In Image File Name.
We found a very small relationship between title tag keyword optimization and ranking. This correlation was significantly smaller than we expected, which may reflect Google’s move to Semantic Search.
- Quick Tip
Another Surprise...But, I Have Noticed Pages Ranking Without Exact Match Keyword Phrase. What’s More Important Therefore Is Focusing On Great Headlines To Improve Click Through Rate Which I Believe Is Also a Major Ranking Factor. Here is a great tool for generating headline ideas. I also use SEOMofo Snippets Tool To Help Me Write Better Headlines & Descriptions. You May Be Surprised How This Helps You Write Better Title Headlines & Meta Descriptions.
Site speed matters. Based on data from Alexa, pages on fast-loading sites rank significantly higher than pages on slow-loading sites.
- This Is A Huge Source Of Frustration To Many WordPress Users, Despite Many Plugins Available To Use To Improve Site Speed. I Have Outsourced This Multiple Times And Still Not Happy With The Speed Of My Site. Try & Use Only Plugins That You Really Need, Otherwise There Can Be Conflicts Between Them Which Slow Your Site Down. Often I Will Deactivate Some Plugins & Use Them Only When Needed.
Despite Google’s many Penguin updates, exact match anchor text appears to have a strong influence on rankings.
- This May Be The Case But Having Topically Relevant Content Will Also Play A Major Part In This. I Use Google Grouped Keywords From Keyword Groups Closely Related To The Main Keyword To Sprinkle Through Blog Posts For Higher Relevancy Which Is Essentially Being Provided By Google. Check Out My Tutorial Here On How To Get Google To Optimize Your Content
Using data from SimilarWeb, we found that low bounce rate was associated with higher Google rankings.
- Quick Tip
Use Multiple Forms Of Content Such As Video, Powerpoint, Infographics Etc As Well As Paying Attention To How User Friendly Your Content Is To Read. Space It Out, Use Quotes & Line Breakers As Well As Sub Headlines To Simplify This.
Increasing the number of links to your site may improve rankings for other pages on your site.
- Natural Ways To Do This Can Be Having Great Content Others Want To Link To. But For Speed You Can Also Do...Video Sharing Site Submissions, Social Bookmarks (Onlywire.com), Doc Sharing By Using Your Main Profiles Only For White Hat SEO Link Building Via Content Syndication Which Can Be Automated Or Outsourced. I use sites like Fiverr.com, SEOclerks.com and Market Source To Get This Done Quickly And At Low Cost.