The Strategy is what Brian named the skyscraper method and it involves a very simple approach, but does require a bit of effort and work, and needs time to create the kind of quality content needed for it to work as effectively as it has for Brian.
What i am sharing with you in this post is a strategy based on Brian’s skyscraper method, but simpler to do and easy and faster to scale too.
Lets call this the miniscraper strategy as it has the same goal but with far less to do and therefore easier to play a numbers game whilst creating pretty awesome content at the same time!
At the end of this article i will leave you the option of watching a live step by step case study as we test this strategy, which is similar to Brian’s in that it is aiming at getting backlinks and shares from influencers and authority sites in our niche.
Done correctly this should work like gangbusters but we will create several pieces of content (miniscrapers) to test it properly and target multiple influencers along the way.
So lets come back to skyscraper strategy to cover the bare essence of that technique before i explain the Miniscraper method.
The Skyscraper Method
In a nutshell it’s as follows…
- Find Popular Content that has been widely shared
- Identify Influencers that have shared that or similar content.
- Make a bigger, better version of the popular content going more in depth and also with multiple content formats. This is what Brian calls epic content!
- Ask Influencers to check it out and others who shared the popular or similar content.
- Get the share, traffic and authority backlinks which will drive traffic and rankings.
The Miniscraper Method
There are actually 2 ways this can be done to minimize time, resources and effort for a piece of content while still maintaining a high standard.
First is using a collection of MULTIPLE influencers content and curating a best of type post around one topic.
For example if i wanted to curate around a topic like on page SEO then i would choose best of, still relevant tips from multiple people and add my own stuff to it too.
Second is taking one piece of epic “skyscraper” type content from ONE influencer and choosing one aspect of that, expending it, modernising it and again adding your own content to it.
Either way will work fine and the case studies will cover both.
This strategy is designed to be faster, easier content to create and therefore easier to scale.
To do this correctly we do need to be using other peoples content, but in a clever, simple way and mixed with our own voice, style, commentary & angle to the content.
We are mining their content to do a “best of” type, actionable, content piece and the key here really is in the word actionable!
By actionable i mean that there will be step by step how to or ways to do something. We need this to have content that people want to share as well as read.
The other people’s content needs to be from influencers with large audiences and not too big or corporate that they might ignore our efforts.
This is especially useful as normally influencers will create content that is epic, lengthy, with multiple media (infographics, video, images etc) which gives us the ability to break their content up into smaller (but not necessarily small) highly focused, pieces of content that we expand on.
So, this actionable content we will be creating from influencers will also have our own input too, as we want to insert our own stuff into that of the influencers and by doing so we are hijacking or piggybacking on their authority.
We will be buying some additional content formats to make it even more impressive but at reasonable cost.
The reason we do this is to expand on the length of the content, increase its perceived value by actually making it more valuable and useful.
We will buy infographics, which other people will do for us and takes us no more than 10 to 15 minutes work to give instructions on getting it done.
We will use the same information (re-purposing the content) to put on a powerpoint which we will have created for us professionally at low cost too.
We will do a video that summarises the content and which can be bought (whiteboard, explainer video for example) or which you can do yourself the way i do with camtasia.
Let’s break this down to see just how simple and easy this is to do. All going well with the services we outsource we should be able to create kick ass content for $100 or less!
What will we buy…
- An High Quality Infographic (Cost Approximately $45.00 to $95.00)
- Professionally designed power-point To Use In Th Summary Video and add later to slideshare and prizmshare (Cost Approximately $5.00 to $15.00)
- Blogger outreach Using software & services to find and connect (Cost Approximately $27 monthly)
- Video transcript (Cost Approximately $15.00 to $25.00)
- Strategy notes (Cost Approximately $5.00)
What content we will create..
- Summary Video
- Organizing the best of actionable tips
- Inputting our own tactics into the tips too
- Create a top headline and intro
- Create a giveaway checklist PDF
- Social Reshares
- Social Lock
- Reaching out to bloggers included in the “best of”
- Video & Infographic syndication
- See more blog promotion strategies here